Report on the Debianized VM

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Mar 30 14:46:20 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 30 March 2004 12:19 am, Ross Boylan wrote:

> There is a minor documentation issue.  As I read the man page, it says
> to specify drivers like "vm sound=OSS".  But the squeak --help output
> suggests "vm-sound-OSS."  Perhaps both are legal (I tried both without
> error messages), but it's a little confusing.

Both should work. The more modern form is
	-vm sound=OSS -vm display=X11

> I'm running KDE 3.1 with ALSA 1.0.2c and OSS emulation.

I had to get a *very* fresh version of the ALSA kernel drivers (as in "from
CVS") (and rebuild the kernel, of course) to get my motherboard's mixer to
set up the microphone input right (I have an Intel D865PERLX motherboard).

But I assume that you've got your system working so that both the KDE apps and
the OSS apps (like sox/play/rec) work.

> However,
> there seem to be some problems with the latest ALSA OSS emulation; for
> example, KDE will give an error if one sets it to use OSS, and I have
> told it to use ALSA.

Have you made sure that the OSS emulation modules are loaded?

$ lsmod |  grep snd
snd_intel8x0           37508  1
snd_ac97_codec         65924  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_mpu401_uart        11008  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_rawmidi            30368  1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device          8456  1 snd_rawmidi
snd_pcm_oss            53924  0
snd_pcm               113700  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc         12164  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
snd_timer              35588  1 snd_pcm
snd_mixer_oss          19584  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd                    58468  11
snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mixer_oss
soundcore              12000  1 snd

> Sound's not that key for me, but I thought I'd let you know.  And it
> would be nice if it worked.

I think ideally someone would write a Squeak ALSA sound plugin.

> P.S. My system is mostly testing, with a bit from unstable, so I
> suppose that's another suspect.  However, I got the ALSA kernel
> patches from unstable.

I'm running a Debian unstable/testing system:

kde 3.1.2
alsa 1.0.3-1
arts 1.2.1-1

I tell artsd to use ALSA, and to release the sound hardware after 10 seconds.
In the KDE control panel, this would be "Auto-suspend if idle after 10
seconds".

I run Squeak using the aoss wrapper:

$ cat ~/bin/squeak
#!/bin/sh
aoss /usr/local/bin/squeak -vm display=X11 -vm sound=OSS -nomixer -xshm
-display :0 -swapbtn "$@" &

For me, sound output works either with or without the aoss wrapper, though.

I do have a Swiki running, and I make sure that it doesn't hog the sound:

/usr/local/bin/squeak -vm-sound-null -vm-display-null squeak.image &

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com