VM for FreeBSD?

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Tue Mar 30 20:10:54 UTC 2004

Hi folks,

I'm trying to install Squeak on a headless FreeBSD box and I'm not sure what
voodoo is currently required, if any. The key thing is that I want to be able
to run a 3.7 image, which is problematic with the current Unix VM. So as far as
I can see, my options are:

1) Install the stock 3.4 VM Ian's site and do without the improvements he's made
since then - in theory I shouldn't need ephemerons etc.

2) Use the current VMMaker to generate a source tree, patch it as necessary to
run the 3.7 image, copy it over to the FreeBSD box and build a VM from scratch.
I've been unsuccessful when trying to do this on my Mac OS X box, but FreeBSD
might be easier.

My gut says #2 is the better option, but is likely to be tricky. Any hints from
the VM gurus out there?

Colin