Squeak3.7a-nnnn image on unix?

Peter William Lount peter at ActiveInfo.CA
Wed Mar 31 01:42:59 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm wondering if it's possible to run a Squeak3.7a-5816 image with the
3.6g-2 Unix VM? (http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/)?

When I try it a current squeak 3.7 image (plus some of my stuff):

    /usr/local/bin/squeak /squeak/Squeak3.7a-5816_20040330a.56.image

or with a out of the box image:

    /usr/local/bin/squeak /squeak/Squeak3.7a-5657.image

 I get the following error:

    Segmentation fault

    169947472 SystemDictionary>lowSpaceWatcher
    169947852 [] in SystemDictionary>installLowSpaceWatcher
    169947944 [] in BlockContext>newProcess

The error seems to appear on the unix console just a moment before the
squeak x-window opens.

After reviewing the Smalltalk level source code it seems to install the
lowSpaceWatcher but then crashes while executing it.

No error log files are generated but a 1GB core dump file, squeak.core is
created. For some reason Squeak is attempting to allocate a gigabyte or more
of space! Maybe this is simply it's default of grabbing 1GB of memory maped
space and some other error occurs that causes it to core dump, and thus it
dumps it's entire virutal space. If I set memory lower it creates a smaller
core dump file.

There is 750MB of RAM available on the server with 1.8 GB of swap space
freely available. The OS is FreeBSD 4.8.

Are there any command line options that might solve this? I tried increasing
the memory setting to 400m but this didn't help. (At 500m it fails to
allocate memory for the heap).

What is the latest image version that will work with the 3.6g-2 Unix VM?
Why?

What I really need is an image and vm that I can move between Unix and
Windows freely to have easy development. My laptop computer where I do most
of my development work is Windows. My production servers are Unix. Any
ideas?

Cheers,

Peter

ps. Has any progress been made on upgrading to a full BSD style sockets
interface for squeak?