3.7 moving to beta tomorrowish

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Wed Mar 31 08:38:57 UTC 2004

  Göran,

> >   Oh, by the way, a four page article I wrote for a magazine just came
> > out last week^^; Also, the "A Quick Trip to Objectland" book got
> > translated and published last week, too.
>
> Cool! Congrats! What was the article about? I have also gotten 2
> articles published - though in a small magazine targeted at teachers.
> The first one was general about Squeak - with the Squeak logo filling
> the frontpage! :) The second one explains Etoys and shows the
> Drive-a-car tutorial step by step with nice screenshots.

  Congratulations for you, too!  Is there any web site of the magazine
that I can take a look at and put the link on my blog^^;?

  The magazine is called "Lightweight Language Magazine" and the
magazine is about Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby, and etc.  A section is
devoted to "other" languages like Haskell, Emacs Lisp, and Squeak.  As
you could imagine, the target audience is "language nerds" type.

  I still don't know if Squeak qualifies as a "Lightweight Language,"
whatever the definition is, but more visibility is better.

http://www.ascii.co.jp/books/detail/4-7561/4-7561-4441-1.html

  The article first explains the concept ("it is all about the objects
and message sending"), what you can do to extend syntax, ("define a
global var called 'If' and test:then:else: method, or extend the
compiler").

  Then, how you'd inspect the variable in a debugger ("step 1"), how
you'd modify the code ("step 2") in a debugger, and how you add new
inst var to the object you're debugging ("step 3").  (The example code
shown happened to be the DVD subtitles renderer^^;)

  Then, the applications, Etoys as the killer app, Seaside as web
application framework to compete other "P and R" languages, and
Croquet for one of the future direction.

  Finally, the mailing lists, web sites, etc. to visit for those
interested.

  By the way, the translation of "A Quick Trip to Objectland" was done
by Sugawara-san and Suzuki-san of Tottori prefecture supervised by
Abe-san.  (I did a bit of cheer leading, but nothing more.)

> Also have gotten a nice contact (a teacher which just happens to be my
> neighbor and also a member of the school-IT-group in our "county" -
> which I didn't know, quite funny) regarding pushing Etoys into the
> schools where I live - we have Montessori schools all the way up to age
> 15 and also others. It will be interesting to see where it goes.

  This is great.  I hope the DVD helps!

-- Yoshiki