3.7 moving to beta tomorrowish

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Mar 31 09:49:18 UTC 2004

Hi all,

Yoshiki Ohshima <Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org> wrote:
>   Göran,
>
> > >   Oh, by the way, a four page article I wrote for a magazine just came
> > > out last week^^; Also, the "A Quick Trip to Objectland" book got
> > > translated and published last week, too.
> >
> > Cool! Congrats! What was the article about? I have also gotten 2
> > articles published - though in a small magazine targeted at teachers.
> > The first one was general about Squeak - with the Squeak logo filling
> > the frontpage! :) The second one explains Etoys and shows the
> > Drive-a-car tutorial step by step with nice screenshots.
>
>   Congratulations for you, too!  Is there any web site of the magazine
> that I can take a look at and put the link on my blog^^;?

The magazine is www.diu.se - but they don't have any electronic versions
of the articles online.
But "proof" can be seen in the TOC here:

	http://www.diu.se/nr1-04/nr1-04.asp

...where the first article is listed on page 28. :) As you can see all
is in swedish. Eventually I think the articles will be online as pdfs,
at least at bluefish.

>   The magazine is called "Lightweight Language Magazine" and the
> magazine is about Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby, and etc.  A section is
> devoted to "other" languages like Haskell, Emacs Lisp, and Squeak.  As
> you could imagine, the target audience is "language nerds" type.
>
>   I still don't know if Squeak qualifies as a "Lightweight Language,"
> whatever the definition is, but more visibility is better.

Indeed.

[SNIP]
>   By the way, the translation of "A Quick Trip to Objectland" was done
> by Sugawara-san and Suzuki-san of Tottori prefecture supervised by
> Abe-san.  (I did a bit of cheer leading, but nothing more.)

Sounds like a neat article.

> > Also have gotten a nice contact (a teacher which just happens to be my
> > neighbor and also a member of the school-IT-group in our "county" -
> > which I didn't know, quite funny) regarding pushing Etoys into the
> > schools where I live - we have Montessori schools all the way up to age
> > 15 and also others. It will be interesting to see where it goes.
>
>   This is great.  I hope the DVD helps!

It sure does! Eagerly awaiting the one with subtitles. :)

> -- Yoshiki

regards, Göran