Squeak3.7a-nnnn image on unix?

Peter William Lount peter at ActiveInfo.CA
Wed Mar 31 16:17:04 UTC 2004

From: "Michael Roberts" <mike at mjr104.co.uk>
> I'm sorry about that.  I didn't mean that to be obvious.
That's ok, being obvious is good. I'm much more of an expert with Smalltalk
than the unix C tool chain.

> you don't get this output?
Nope! I changed the makefile so that it used aclocal instead of aclocal-1.7.
My FreeBSD system has aclocal-1.5 installed. I hope that's ok. If not please
let me know and I'll upgrade it.

> I'm afraid I don't know anything about freebsd.  I think that is your
system type?
Yes.

> Hope this is a tad more useful but you may already have these installed.
Yes, much more usefull.

Here is the sequence that I'm now doing:

mkdir-p /localstorage/servers/squeak/ned_squeak
cd /localstorage/servers/squeak/ned_squeak
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/squeak login
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/squeak co -r
ned-branch squeak
cd squeak/platforms/unix/config

I then edit the Makefile and change "aclocal-1.7" to "aclocal".

make
cd /localstorage/servers/squeak/ned/
./squeak/platforms/unix/config/configure

Here is the results of :

sensei# pwd
/disk0e/localstorage/servers/neds_squeak/squeak
sensei# ./platforms/unix/config/configure
/disk0e/localstorage/servers/neds_squeak/squeak/platforms/unix/config/missin
g: Can't open
/disk0e/localstorage/servers/neds_squeak/squeak/platforms/unix/config/missin
g: No such file or directory
configure: WARNING: `missing' script is too old or missing
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... nawk
checking sanity of VMMaker src directory... bad
missing dir: /disk0e/localstorage/servers/neds_squeak/squeak/src

Ok, it builds the configure script with the down graded aclocal, but now it
reports that two files/directories are missing:

../squeak/platforms/unix/config/missing:
and
/disk0e/localstorage/servers/neds_squeak/squeak/src

It looks like the ../squeak/src isn't being downloaded from the cvs server.

As for the other missing "../config/missing" file/directory could it be
because of the older "aclocal" program?

FreeBSD and Smalltalk.org
It sure would be nice to have a build script of the cutting edge unix port
that works with FreeBSD. This would enable me to keep Smalltalk.org's new
development site upto date easily. I'd rather focus on building a cool
smalltalk.org web site application that muck around with C tool chains...
For the current smalltalk.org development demo please see:
http://dev.smalltalk.org/zokudev. Your support is greatly appreciated.

FreeBSD has a squeak3 (version 3.5_2) port. Here are some links including
the current cvs for it.
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/lang/squeak3/pkg-descr
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/pds.cgi?ports/lang/squeak3
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/lang/squeak3/

Actually it might be a good idea to update the FreeBSD port aswell. I've
included the FreeBSD port maintainer in this email and sent him a request as
well.

I'd like to help with the unix vm in anyway that I can aswell. I know C
fairly well, Smalltalk very very well, and the C tool chain not as well as
needed, but I'm willing to upgrade my skills to get this working.

Thanks again,

Peter William Lount, Smalltalk.org