How to bring money in the community

Brian T. Rice water at tunes.org
Wed Mar 31 19:29:26 UTC 2004

stéphane ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> said:

> Hi Tim
>
> Why don't you try to propose some topics you would like to work on and
> build a kind of small business model. For my side I would pay for:
>
> 	- a better UI framework
> 	- a better file system
> 	- a better compiler framework
> 	- a better VM
>
> I suggest you to have a pay pal for VMMaker for example. Do you know if
> paypal send bills to the payer?

The Slate project (mainly myself and Lee Salzman) is working on all of these
things, in ways that are directed to benefit Squeak interests. We have very
many interesting results, and I would for example back-port them to Squeak
(not really very hard, just not within my current time budget or immediate
interest), given suitable donations/payments via my paypal account
(associated with my email address; there is another for LOGOS R&D as well).

I'm sure that Craig Latta would be glad to accelerate his feedback into the
Squeak community as well, and appreciate the additional funding to do so.