A history of Squeak

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Thu May 6 05:42:24 UTC 2004

>Karl Ramberg <karl.ramberg at chello.se> wrote...
>
>>Yes, maybe the simulator should be modified to run 32 bit images as well as
>>64 bit ones and when the 64 bit mashines get really fast, one can run the 32 bit
> >images in the simulator without noticing
>
>Yeah.  When men walk on the moon.

It occurs to me that without a bit of context this could sound cynical, and that's not at all how I meant it.

I'm completely on Karl's side.  Having spent a lot of time with simulations this spring (especially Hobbes), everything 1980 and earlier runs *faster* than it ever did native!  We're running *bytecodes* way faster than the raw machine instructions ever ran in those days -- heck even faster than the microcode.

My comment was a winking allusion to the supposedly apocryphal story about Mr Gorsky.  The non-naughty part of that story is that "when men walk on the moon" turned out not to mean "never", but in fact "in not so many years".

	- D