Nail Soup

Lothar Schenk lothar.schenk at gmx.de
Sun May 9 08:47:26 UTC 2004

Dave Lowry wrote:

> That would be me; this is way over my head.  Somebody please explain
> what Squat is all about and why it is Extremely Clever.  Thanks.

Squat aims to produce a minimal VM+image package as a nucleus for modular
extension by independent packages. It features dynamic loading and unloading
of packages and allows control of one image from another even across network
boundaries. It promises to be an extremely powerful vehicle for modular
decomposition of a virtual image spread over a set of network-linked
processing nodes.

Its most revulotionary aspect in my mind is that it goes against the
traditional "stuff everything into one image" mentality. This will allow to
use the power of polymorphism at higher than class level and thereby reduce
some of the unnecessary complexity we have now by encouraging too much
interdependence in our images.

Don't put all your objects into one basket!

Regards, Lothar