[FIX][BUG] sourcesName incorrect

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Mon May 10 20:54:06 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 15:35, stéphane ducasse wrote:
> > The problem is that this is a lie.  That's certainly not where my
> > sources file is.  The sources file can be in about three different
> > locations and this is only one possibility.
>
> ? sorry I do not understand. Do you have an example that worked in 3.6
> and does not in 3.7a?

I'm not sure what you mean by an example.  I'm not clear on why this
method even exists or what it is currently used for.  But the fact of
the matter is that if any user attempts to use it to find the location
of a sources file the value this method currently returns will not be
the location of an actual file at least in my case.  It seems to me the
intent of this method is to return the full path name of the sources
file that was loaded when the image was loaded.  That's exactly what my
proposed fix does.  However maybe I don't understand the point of the
method.

> >> I checked all the senders of sourcesName and none of them refer to
> >> SystemDictionary
> >> but refer to SmalltalkImage current.
> >
> > OK.  But the Smalltalk global is still a SystemDictionary.  Should that
> > not still be around?
>
> It is but Smalltalk sourcesName is deprecated. You should get a warning
> if you use it. Then when 3.8 will become alpha we will remove the
> deprecated methods.

I don't get any warning.  I just tried it in a workspace.  Maybe the
warning comes up in a different context like if I used it in a method
typed into a browser?