Possible bug in System Browser

Andrew Berg andrew_c_berg at yahoo.com
Wed May 12 06:00:46 UTC 2004

Hey, all.  I've been (finally) actually using Squeak after lurking here
for a while.  Three times in the last hour I've gotten walkbacks from the
System Browser when trying to save a method.  With a little looking, it
appears to happen with a brand new class when I click on the far right
pane (which is completely empty, this being a new class) and then enter my
message handler and hit alt+s.

It is clear to me that the fix belongs in
Browser>>compileMessage:notifying:, but it is not clear to me what much of
that code is doing.  There is a check for "self
selectedMessageCagegoryName == nil" that is failing to make the selected
message category name non-nil when a couple lines later #asSymbol is
sent.  For what it's worth, if I go ahead and "proceed" from the point it
stops, the message gets compiled just fine.

Oh, and yes, I expect lots of you to yell at me that I should have put
[BUG] or something in my subject, but I'm not really sure what all the
ramifications of doing that are.

-andrew

andrew_c_berg at yahoo.com