proposal - IRCe should read ircd variables

Patrick Mauritz oxygene at studentenbude.ath.cx
Wed May 12 17:42:31 UTC 2004

hi,

a thing that bugged me with IRCe for quite a while now is that it has various
values hardcoded that really shouldn't be, like possible channel prefixes
(currently set to "#")

on connect the ircd sends those values, eg. like this:

Welcome to the EFnet Internet Relay Chat Network xyxy

Your host is efnet.xs4all.nl[194.109.129.220/6667], running version
ircd-ratbox-1.4-1

This server was created Fri Apr 30 2004 at 03:45:00 CEST

efnet.xs4all.nl ircd-ratbox-1.4-1 oiwszcerkfydnxbauglZ biklmnopstveI bkloveI

STD=i-d STATUSMSG=@+ KNOCK EXCEPTS INVEX MODES=4 MAXCHANNELS=45 MAXBANS=100
MAXTARGETS=4 NICKLEN=9 TOPICLEN=120 KICKLEN=120 are supported by this server

CHANTYPES=#& PREFIX=(ov)@+ CHANMODES=eIb,k,l,imnpst NETWORK=EFnet
CASEMAPPING=rfc1459 CHARSET=ascii CALLERID ETRACE WALLCHOPS SAFELIST are
supported by this server

this includes:
 - nick can be 9 chars max
 - topic and kick reason can be 120 chars
 - there are channels beginning with # and &
 - usermode o belongs to nick prefix @, v to +
 - possible channelmodes (I think every , means that there's a value for the
preceding mode)
 - network - suitable for mapping policies (nicknames, login scripts, ...)

(and some other stuff)

the fields the server transmits differ, depending on the chosen software, but
it would be nice to do a best-effort parsing of these values.
I looked at it but had no ideas where to put such code

patrick mauritz