HC (HTTPClient) released on SqueakMap

Colin Curtin alpine at umail.ucsb.edu
Thu May 13 10:32:06 UTC 2004

Hello to you all,

I have built an almost* unconditionally HTTP/1.1 compliant client for Squeak
3.6. It is very similar in style to Apache Jakarta's HTTPClient.

Some of its features include:
    - Persistent connections
    - Automatic redirection handling
    - Access to Output/Input streams - for PUT and GET specifically.
    - Cookies (Quite close to RFC2109 spec)
    - Authentication (Unconditionally RFC2617 complaint, I believe)
        - Basic
        - Digest (Supports all qop modes, and auth-info headers)
    - Common HTTP methods
        - GET
        - POST
        - PUT
        - Multipart POST
    - Simple syntax
    - Interesting Transcript debugging info I forgot to remove

The release is available on SqueakMap as HC HTTPClient, and available for
download at: http://lithp.org/mc/HTTPClient/HTTPClient-cc.16.mcz

The webpage for this is located at: http://lithp.org/hc.html

Any and all feedback is appreciated. In the upcoming weeks I hope to add the
rest of the HTTP methods, and Proxy, SOCKS (4 and 5), and HTTPS support - as
well as a nice test suite for everything. I also hope to add method
streamlining and elegant stream handling, but that's a bit tougher. ;0

Please look at the HCClient class comments for how to get started, and the
HCFacade class-side messages are similar to HTTPSocket if you want simple
compatibility.

Thanks!

--
Colin Curtin
alpine at umail.ucsb.edu

* Where almost means: I still need to read through the RFC to make sure it
satisfies all of the SHOULD and SHOULD NOTs. However, I *have* to break the RFC
because of the way 302 redirects are implemented in most major webservers...
sigh.