[bug] stack overflow crashes Squeak. ( Revive - relates to more recent problems )

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sun May 16 17:43:08 UTC 2004

"David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 10:36:16PM -0600, tim at sumeru.stanford.edu wrote:
> >
> > This appears to be the same problem mentioned in recent reports of not
> > being able to interrupt a recursive process. If something is making the
> > low space signal not work properly - leaving the runaway process
> > careering like a drunken driver down the roadway of memory loss - then
> > one of our major system safeguards is inneffective. Not good.
>
> [Background on this thread: Squeak hangs up and crashes with out-of-memory
> condition due to low space alarm not working. Observed on Unix/Linux VM.]
Also on RISC OS  and win32 (IIRC)

> I can't quite get a handle on what is happening here, but I am fairly
> sure that it is *not* a problem with the low space signal. The signal
> is properly created in the VM. It is caught by the waiting low space
> watcher process, and the notifier is being displayed. *After* these
> things take place, Squeak crashes with an out of memory condition,
> as if the original runaway recursive process had proceeded without
> interruption (although I don't think this is what is literally happening).
I did a whole load of test runs for this a while back and it really
does seem like the problem proces keps on running despite the notifier.

> One other observation: The problem does not occur in MVC. The combination
> of Morphic and a Unix/Linux VM is apparently needed to make the problem
> occur.
Just tried again for 3.7, 3.6, 3.5 and 3.2 in both morphic and mvc and
none of them behave 'properly'. 3.6 & 3.5 morphic shewed notifiers but
still crashed. None of the others even shewed a notifier.

tim
Strange OpCodes: EOS: Erase Operating System