Premature end of image file--so close

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue May 18 18:11:19 UTC 2004

Ross Boylan <RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 09:49:42PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > When I try to start squeak, I get
> > "Read failed or premature end of image file"
>
> I think I see the code that issues the error
> (readImageFromFile:HeapSize:StartingAt:).  The image internally says
> it should be 43,914,644 bytes.(*) ls -l says the file is 43,913,280.
I you've actually lost bits from the file, you're screwed.  Since we do
a garbage collect before snapshotting, every bit in the supposed dump
is sacred, every little one (and zero). At the top end of memory you're
going to be missing some relatively new objects that are being pointed
to by older ones. Dangling pointers are not allowed!

Basically you can usually rescue a lot from the changes log assuming it
wasn't also mangled somewhere along the line.

tim
Strange OpCodes: HEM: Hide Evidence of Malfunction