winCVS help needed

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue May 18 18:18:00 UTC 2004

Ross Boylan <RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org> wrote:

> It has a settings pane that determines how you will access the
> server.  If you haven't set that properly, it's sure not to work.
>
> Also, I think winCVS has been through some big version changes in the
> last few years; you might check if you're current.
I grabbed the recommend version yesterday so I hope that's the best
one. I've tried doing the settings and at one point managed to checkout
the platforms tree via (I think, hard to be sure given how much
confusion reigned) the pserver interface. But that doesn't allow me to
check anything in! So I tried to work out how to connect via the ssh
related interface the SF seems to want. No luck at all.

At one point it looked to me that it was ignoring my changes to the
settings in favour of obeying the various 'Root' files that listed
':pserver:rowledge at .....' so I went to the extreme of deleting the lot
and trying to start again.

So the real question I suppose (apart from 'why do I put up with this
junk') is how to set up winCVS to let me connect as a developer to our
archive at sourceforge. Or alternatively, what other application might
be better? If it's really not possible with winCVS or some othe gui
app, I could just barely tolerate a command line but honestly, can't we
do better?

Hey, Goran, what happened to SqCVS?

tim
Oxymorons: Military Intelligence