Another dream machine for portable Squeakage

ajr gmane-x9y9abu9r8 at ajr.e4ward.com
Wed May 19 04:02:34 UTC 2004

On Tue, 18 May 2004 15:15:17 -0500, Aaron J Reichow wrote:

> For those with a boatload of money who want the latest, greatest, fastest
> and yet smallest way to Squeak, check out the new Sony Vaio U70:
>
> 	http://www.dynamism.com/u70/index.shtml
>
> A 5" 800x600 screen, 900 MHz CPU, HD and lots'o'RAM.  A lot smaller than
> most "tablet PCs," small enough to fit in a cargo pant pocket, yet oodles
> more powerful than even the most capable PDA. A lot like an OQO, though a
> smidge bigger and it actually is for sale.
>
> A shame I don't have $3000 burning a hole in my pocket!  This is the sort
> of thing that could replace every computer I use... :)

In hot pursuit of portable squeakage, i also salivated over this one. But
for the price...

I'd rather get a Sharp SL-6000 (extraordinary 640x480 screen,
keyboard, usb, Linux)  at $660 for portable squeakage and linuxing, with
enough left over for say, a sony u101 plus $600 worth of other toys or
mobile internet.

But this is a momentous step; hopefully before long there will be a raft
of these (real pcs in this form factor) from other makers.