On maintaining a consistent update stream

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed May 19 17:30:46 UTC 2004

On Wed, 19 May 2004 goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:

> My proposal is to:
>
> 1. Make sure we don't rely on unreliable servers. This involves mainly
> making SM mirrors and adding the server side cache.
>
> 2. Add the dependency model ASAP. :) So that package releases can depend
> on update levels.
>
> 3. Add the rule that the Basic image packages are only upgraded by
> update SM commands. I can even make the loader aware of this so that it
> will confirm any manual attempts to upgrade Basic image packages.
>
> How does that sound?

Sounds ok to me.  Maybe there should be

4. Make it easy to download a tarball of a SM cache with all the basic
packages

so that someone can easily have an offline update stream (I think this
came up in Ned's original post as one of the problems with the current
situation).

But it also depends on what you actually mean by "ASAP"... is that
better than Real Soon Now? ;)

Avi