Another dream machine for portable Squeakage

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Thu May 20 02:06:19 UTC 2004

It may, yes- but probably will never become one we use.  Like most
consoles, you have to be a licensed developer and shell out a lot of money
before they will get you a developer unit and prototype media burner- in
this case, the Sony prorietary UMD format.  And then, if you want Squeak
to be available to others around, say regular Squeakers with a regular PSP
machine, you would have to go get uMD discs with your distro/image made,
again costing a lot of money.

Also, IIRC, the PSP does not have a touchscreen, which reduces the
usefulness in how we could use it in Squeak.  The Nintendo DS may be a
better bet- one of the two screens has a touchscreen for input.  There
also seems to be a very big amateur development scene for the GBA and
older GBs, with the ability to use flash carts to play your own homebrew
games.  Seems like a slightly better bet, although for officially
sanctioned use requies the same kind of stuff as the PSP would along the
lines of being licensed and paying out lots of money..

Regards,
Aaron

--
  "life, probably the biggest word i've ever said, that says a lot,
  because there's a whole lot of words inside my head.." :: atmosphere