FFI, primitives and plugins.. oh my

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Fri May 21 00:47:36 UTC 2004

I'm quite unknowledgable (is that a word?) about the difference between FFI,
plugins and primitives (are there any more ways to get to the outside world
that I should know about?)
So, I would like to know more. Can someone point me in the right direction.
Here's more detailed information:

This started when I noticed that the method SoundRecorder>>recordLevel
didn't seem to adjust the level of one of my audio cards (a card that I know
the driver behaves correctly in Win2k.) To trace this problem, I see that it
calls prmitiveSoundSetRecordLevel in plugin SoundPlugin (I guess that's
right.)

I'm on Win2k right now, but need to make this work on Linux and Mac as well.
But, I'm just worrying about Win2k at the moment.

If someone can point me in the right direction from here, I would be
grateful. I received a lot of hits on the Squeak Swiki and I'll go thru them
(but, some of them seem obsolete.)

Thanks Much!

brad

Hear us online: www.Sonaural.com