On maintaining a consistent update stream

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Fri May 21 03:01:02 UTC 2004

On May 19, 2004, at 7:20 AM, goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:

> Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:
>>  That's why it's
>> important to have *something* - whether a command to load from
>> SqueakMap, a changeset, or a .mcz or SAR file - in the update stream
>> bring in the new package versions that make up the basic image.  We
>> *can't* just say that because it's on SqueakMap, the user is
>> responsible for updating it themselves.

Definitely agreed.

Maybe we could revisit this once we have a stable dependency scheme in
place, but until then, the update stream needs to handle this.

> My proposal is to:
>
> 1. Make sure we don't rely on unreliable servers. This involves mainly
> making SM mirrors and adding the server side cache.

Yes, this would be great to see in the next week or two if you have
time. :)  At least the mirror support for starters.

> 2. Add the dependency model ASAP. :) So that package releases can
> depend
> on update levels.

This one will take longer than #1 obviously.  Perhaps it could be the
major SM to-do item for 3.8?  (At least a first cut at it? :) )

> 3. Add the rule that the Basic image packages are only upgraded by
> update SM commands. I can even make the loader aware of this so that it
> will confirm any manual attempts to upgrade Basic image packages.

Sounds good.  (Or Avi's/Ned's idea to expand what formats are allowed
as updates would be acceptable too, but SM commands are simple and work
right now.  If someone wanted to submit code to implement Avi's/Ned's
idea, that would probably be worth adding.)

> How does that sound?

(Plus the point about making it easy to have an offline update stream
with an SM cache somehow.)

> Hehe, yeah... I am really struggling here to produce time - but I
> really
> intend to get SM moving in the next couple of days.

Me too, I've been too busy.  But I will try to do a round of updates
tomorrow... that will hopefully be the second-to-last round for
3.7beta, then the last round will be in a week or so and we will move
to gamma and open 3.8alpha.  (If something comes up we can postpone,
but I'm shooting for that date for now.)

- Doug