[BUG]RuleDate code has two Undeclareds

John Pfersich jp1660 at att.net
Mon May 24 02:55:04 UTC 2004

Tim wrote:
>julianDayNumber in RuleDate>basicUpdateForMonth:year:
>&
>WeekDayNames in RuleDate class>newDayOfWeek:selectionRule:
>
>tim
>--
>Tim Rowledge, tim at sumeru.stanford.edu, http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim
>What this country needs is a good five-cent microcomputer.

Somewhere in the work on the Chronology, the previous idea concept of
a date as a magnitude appears to have been lost. julianDayNumber had
been an instance variable (the only) of Date. From what I can tell,
most of the methods relating to julianDayNumber have been lost and
the rest are apparently broken.
The  new instance variables in Date are start and duration, and
there's no description in the class Timespan for them in the class
description. (Who let that through?)

Something similar occurred with WeekDayNames, although there is Week
dayNames that replaces it.

The best solution, IMHO, is to create a JulianDate class and have
RuleDate be a subclass of it.