Metaclass JVM programming

Noury Bouraqadi bouraqadi at ensm-douai.fr
Tue Nov 2 07:32:38 UTC 2004

Hi Calus,

Claus Spitzer wrote:

>Greetings!
>I am implementing a Java VM in Squeak, and am trying to figure out how
>to represent Java concepts in Smalltalk.

If you're trying to reimplement Java on-top of Squeak then you don't
need to worry about metaclasses.
For every concept in Java just implement a class. You'll probably need
to have a class for representing java.lang.Class. But, actually, this
not not a true metaclass. Or, at least it does not need to be implemented
so... You only need to provide somehow (class instance variable)  the
same instance of java.lang.Class as the answer when the message
getClass() is sent to instances of a same class.

Instances of java.lang.Class should point to application classes to
allow introspection and instance creation.

Noury
Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. G.I.P
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org