REMINDER: Harvesting Party Monday November 1st 16:00 GMT

karl.ramberg at chello.se karl.ramberg at chello.se
Tue Nov 2 19:37:02 UTC 2004

Samuel Tardieu <sam at rfc1149.net> wrote:

> >> I am still hoping that at some point you will change your mind, or
> >> that you will add new harvesters if more are needed.
>
> stŽphane> But we cannot add them. People are harvesting or not. We
> stŽphane> just pay attention that when you harvest something we look
> stŽphane> at it and push into the unstable stream.
>
> stŽphane> I think that one the problem with the unstable stream is
> stŽphane> that its items were not pushed fast enough into the alpha
> stŽphane> image.
>
> I meant "pushers", maybe we need to add more pushers.
>
> stŽphane> Unstable is really for making sure that we can make
> stŽphane> mistake.  Because you could then work in the alpha image.
>
> Making a mistake doesn't imply going back in time. A mistake can be
> fixed by going forward, even if it takes more time.
>
> stŽphane> Please continue to clean and review bug fixes because squeak
> stŽphane> needs that.
>
> I simply won't be able to (time resources cannot be extended) as long
> as past updates can be removed from the unstable stream. I've
> explained why in length.

I think we could/should agree on that a rollback of a cs in the unstable
stream
should be the very last option to get out of a jam eg. a update that
screw up seriously. People comitting to be part of unstable should be
credited for their comitment and we should not pull the carpet under
their feet at every twist and turn. We need people working for enhancing
Squeak and we need to value
their time and effort.

Ommitting the bad updates and their revert should be easy when the
unstable updates are moved over to  stable

Karl