REMINDER: Harvesting Party Monday November 1st 16:00 GMT

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Nov 2 18:58:19 UTC 2004

Am 31.10.2004 um 23:32 schrieb Tim Rowledge:

> Marcus Denker <denker at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
>

>> Am 31.10.2004 um 18:00 schrieb Ken Causey:
>>
>>> Just a reminder that the next Harvesting Party will take place
>>> between
>>> 16:00 (4 PM) and 20:00 (8 PM) GMT Monday November 1st, 2004.
>>>

>> I just want to add the reminder that the overall participation of the
>> community
>> is quite non-existent. There is nothing happening at these partys.
>
> There's a practical problem that needs adressing; what on earth is
> going on with bug fixing?

There is a lot of stuff in BFAV. As of now, we have not decided to just
abandon all that. So BVAF is there.

Yet, the last year has shown that people do not like to use BFAV.

So when Mantis started to get very successfully used for both squeakland
and  Tweak, we decided to just try to use it, too. It makes no sense
to continue to insist on BFAV if nobody besides me uses it.

I personally like some things with Mantis a lot: the ability to sort
bugs and
fixes (e.g. VM, Network), or assigning to a developer. Having a
web-interface is
nice. And not having to sent an email for flipping a bit is a good
thing, too.

BFAV didn't help much with Bugs. It never got used as a bugtracker,
more a
"harvesting" tool.

So other things are better with BFAV: The ability to quickly look at a
changeset
from inside Squeak is really helpfull. (e.g. browse code, or
conflictchecker).
Or the fact that there is kind of an interface to submit to BFAV from
inside Squeak
(mail bugreport, mail changeset to list).

In the end, it would be nice to have the best of both worlds...

     Marcus