MacOS X VM

Simon Bates simon.bates at utoronto.ca
Tue Nov 2 23:50:37 UTC 2004

David Farber wrote:

 > I'm running Squeak3.7-MacOS-Full on my OS X 10.3 box.  Everyhing works
 > fine when I click on the appropriate icons.  But I can't figure out
out to run it
 > from a command line.  The "executable" is an ".app"--which acts like
a directory
 > when I am at a command line.  So I can't find anyhting to execute.
 > Do I need a different vm?

In Mac OS X applications are packaged as "application bundles" and are
directories containing code and resources. To start an application from
the command line you can use the 'open' command. See 'man open' for
details. To start squeak by opening an image you could use a command
like the following:

open '/Applications/Squeak3.7-MacOS-Full/Squeak3.7-5989-full.image'

this is equivalent to double clicking the image file in the Finder. To
open the Squeak application directly use something like:

open -a 'Squeak 3.7.5Beta1.app'

Simon