TestRunner in 3.8 -- ARGH!!!

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Wed Nov 3 02:33:57 UTC 2004

On Nov 2, 2004, at 12:39 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> #1: As has been pointed out in the thread starting at
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-March/
> 074876.html TestRunner is STILL broken if you run any UI tests with
> it. It's six months now during which the people who have argued this
> broken behavior to be a "feature" have done absolutely nothing to
> improve the situation. ARGH!

I was probably the person that objected to this change set the most. In
hindsight I think I was wrong - this isn't the "best" solution, but it
definitely has the best utility/effort ratio. Let's get this
integrated.

> In case this hasn't been clear to everyone, abstract test cases run
> all of their "sub-tests" if executed. In other words, in the 3.6
> TestRunner you can have a test structure that looks like:
>
>    AllMyTests
>        MyTestNrOne
>        MyTestNrTwo
>        MyTestNrThree
>
> and with AllMyTests being an abstract superclass you only need to
> select it and run all of my three tests at once. In the 3.8 TestRunner
> you don't get to see abstract test cases in the list - but rather, you
> need to select EACH AND EVERY single test manually in this list.
> Which, besides, is broken if you try to do a selection by dragging
> through with the mouse but anyway. ARGH!

I was also the one that submitted this change, but I stand by this one.
The problem with the old behavior is that it *also* causes you to have
to select each and every test manually. You can't just use the 'Filter'
button to select some tests and run them all, because the abstract
classes will cause tests to get run twice -  or more than twice if you
have several levels of abstract classes in your test hierarchy. This
makes moderately-long-running test suites take much longer.

I like your idea of revamping the test runner UI - we need a better way
to group tests into suites. I'll take a stab at doing something with
OmniBrowser and post when I have something to play with.

Colin