MacOS X VM

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Nov 3 07:20:08 UTC 2004

Well if you root all the way down to the binary lurking in the bottom
of the *.app directory

./Users/johnmci/Documents/Squeak3.8.0/build/Squeak\
3.8.2Beta2.app/Contents/MacOS/Squeak\ VM\ Opt

You'll find a Unix binary
ls -l
total 6328
-rwxr-xr-x  1 johnmci  staff  3237148  6 Oct 20:32 Squeak VM Opt

That has stdin/stdout/stderr
The mac carbon VM even declares main as int main(int argc, char **argv,
char **envp)
so you techically can pass in those unixiy things, getting at them is
an issue, mind the OSProcess I did a bit for Carbon could dynamically
link and load
and get at those globals.

On Nov 2, 2004, at 9:14 PM, David Farber wrote:

> Thanks Joe (and Simon and Frank).
>
> Next question: How does the notion of an "app" in OS X map to the
> traditional idea of a process in unix.  Specifically, does an app
> still have stdin/stdout/stderr?  When I use 'open' on the command
> line, it appears to always fork the program call--is that baked in?
>
> I'd like to get my hands on stdin/stdout/stderr of the main squeak
> process.  I've got Ian's OS X binaries and OSProcess seems to work (at
> least, the CommandShell works) although not all of tests pass.  But
> 'OSProcess helloWorld' doesn't print anything to the console that
> started squeak.
>
> Pointers? Ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> david
>
> At 06:43 PM 11/2/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>> Using the "open" command should do the trick (i.e., "$ open
>> Firefox.app").  It's the same as double-clicking on the application's
>> icon.
>>
>> - Joe
>>
>> On Nov 2, 2004, at 6:17 PM, David Farber wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running Squeak3.7-MacOS-Full on my OS X 10.3 box.  Everyhing
>>> works
>>> fine when I click on the appropriate icons.  But I can't figure out
>>> out to run it from a command line.  The "executable" is an
>>> ".app"--which acts like a directory when I am at a command line.  So
>>> can't find anyhting to execute.  Do I need a different vm?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> david
>>>
>>> --
>>> David Farber