How do people manage their images and code

Rob Lally smalltalk at roblally.plus.com
Wed Nov 3 09:30:56 UTC 2004

Hi,

I am looking for advice about how to manage my squeak image and my
squeak code. I suppose these are two different things requiring
different strategies for the management of each.

 Here's what I've been doing so far:

1) With my image I've resorted to making a copy of the whole squeak
directory - VM and everything before I update/download packages from the
web repository. This seems kind of ... primitive but I can't think of an
alternative. Are there better practices?

2) For code - I write the change sets out to file periodically and copy
them away. Again primitive and unsatisfactory. Particularly since I have
no way to tie them to the state of the image when I backed them up.

I understand that there are various package and code managers such as
Monticello available. What should I be using? What are the current
Squeak best practices in this area?

Thanks ( in advance ) for your help.

Rob.