[Q] Package dependencies

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Wed Nov 3 22:52:31 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 03 November 2004 1:19 pm, Chris Muller wrote:
> I would have:
>
>   MagmaServer
>     requires MagmaClient
>     and Ma Client Server
>     and Ma Object Serialization
>
>   MagmaClient
>     requires Ma Client Server
>     and Ma Object Serialization
>
>   Ma Client Server
>     requires Ma Object Serialization
>
> and in so keeping no more than one-level of prerequisites for any
> particular package, this would seem to clear up the problem as you said.

I wouldn't do this, because you still have two levels.

I would instead make 1-level packages, with no real code in them other than
distribution-related stuff.

For instance, I have a couple of versions of Connectors -- one for Squeak 3.7
and one for Squeakland.

The Squeakland one is more limited, both because we didn't need all the
pieces, and because we just included some of the prerequisites. So I have the
following package structure:

ConnectorsSqueakland (includes only code for a PackageInfo subclass specific
to this distribution of Connectors)
 Connectors
 ConnectorsShapes

etc.

and the Squeak one is the same kind of thing:

ConnectorsSqueak (includes only code for a PackageInfo subclass specific to
this distribution of Connectors)
 FlexibleVocabularies
 CustomEvents
 Connectors
 ConnectorsShapes

etc.

This way, a single version *of the distribution* can be tied to specific
versions *of packages*.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com/squeak/