Squeak sound in Linux??

lex at cc.gatech.edu lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Nov 4 05:16:21 UTC 2004

Ned Konz <ned at squeakland.org> wrote:
> You have a couple of choices:
>
> - Tell esd to release the sound card after some period of idleness (look at
> the Gnome control panel for this setting)
>
> - Use esddsp or whatever the correct wrapper is to make the OSS sound go
> through the sound daemon:
>
>  esddsp squeak -vm-sound-oss -vm-display-X11 ...

The adventuresome can also try running NAS, and running esd under the
NAS wrapper (ie, "audioss esd").  Then tell squeak to use the NAS
backend, something like:

	squeak -vm-sound-nas ...

But unless you have time to kill, try one of Ned's approaches.  I just
toss this out as food for thought.  NAS is a better, older, more mature
server than ESD, but apparently none of the Windows-ize Linux crowd has
heard of it.

-Lex