[ANN] Cleaned up KomHttpServer on SM

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu Nov 4 12:57:53 UTC 2004

Hi!

"Russell Penney" <russell.penney at tincanct.com> wrote:
> > 2. Dug deep to find a little bug in the HttpRequest parsing that dear
> > Brent mistakenly introduced :) and fixed it. Funky enough we don't want
> > exceptions down there - they are swallowed hard.
>
> Just to get completely of topic, why are exceptions bad "down there" and
> what does "swallowed hard" mean?

Well, they are "bad" to get down there because it was inside a handler
that swallowed it. Swallowed meaning that the handler simply gave the
exception the silent treatment. :)

But the method comment tries to explan why - I haven't analyzed this in
depth. But as it stands - if there is an exception in say the
HttpRequest parsing it will be silently swallowed today.

> I only ask because I am playing with Exceptions and would like the benefit
> of people's views and experience.

Well, the lesson here is - don't swallow exceptions. The code in
question may have a good reason for it - but generally it pisses
developers off to a vast extent. ;)

In this case I had to throw in self halts DEEP down in the listen loop
and step forward in the debugger to find the place where it went wrong.

> Russell

regards, Göran