3.8 beta release

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Thu Nov 4 18:49:34 UTC 2004

Am 04.11.2004 um 12:33 schrieb Bruce ONeel:

> Hi,
>
> I updated the 3.8alpha image on the ftp site to 3.8beta.
> It lives in ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/3.8beta.
>
> I updated the 3.8alpha unstable image to 3.9alpha
> and it lives in ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/3.9alpha.

Please mark this as as 3.9a-unstable.

> I'll note that 3.9 alpha is therefore not a child of 3.8 beta
> in spite of what one might think :-)

Actually it should be. Both the stable and the normal 3.9a should be
equivalent, but to not mess up the changeset history please use the one
you derived from the regular 3.8alpha stream as starting point for the
regular 3.9alpha.

> Michael was not joking, it took a while on my 233mhz PII.  Don't
> laugh, it's my fastest system that I can leave up for a while.

Luckily you do not have to wait through this again, but in your fresh
3.8beta image you just need to execute the code in the last changeset
#6351 again (the one asking you if you want to advance to 3.9alpha or
stay with 3.8beta), and load regular updates for 3.9a after that
(should be 5 updates, resulting in a 3.9a6404 image).

Thanks for all your work!

- Bert -