Problem using autoconf to generate configure script for unix squeak

Dave Hylands dhylands at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 00:14:05 UTC 2004

Hi,

I've been working on cross compiling squeak for the gumstix. I've
downloaded Squeak 3.6.3 and I noticed that if I run:

    cd Squeak-3.6.3/platforms/unix/config
    autoconf configure.ac > confgure-test

that configure-test is missing a bunch of stuff that configure has.
I'm using autoconf 2.57 which is the same version used to create
configure.

This is present in configure:

X features:
  --x-includes=DIR    X include files are in DIR
  --x-libraries=DIR   X library files are in DIR

and missing in configure-test.

And then all of the stuff from lines 21436:
plugin="vm-display-Quartz"
plibs=""
rm -f vm-display-Quartz.sub vm-display-Quartz.lib

up until 24872 is missing from the configure-test script. As a
consequence, there are a whole bunch of undefined substitutions (like
X_INCLUDES, X_CFLAGS, X_LIBS, FFI_DIR, FFI_C, FFI_S, FFI_O)

If it makes any difference, the Linux platform I'm hosting all this on
is Mandrake 8.1 (yeah - it's old, but I can't see how that makes any
difference in this case).

I get the same sort of differences if I download configure.ac from
http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/devel/platforms/unix/config/
(which I'm assuming is the latest).

Am I missing some steps? Or is configure.ac out of date?

Thanks

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada