Squeak64 problems

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at cableone.net
Mon Nov 8 14:51:32 UTC 2004

Hello,

I am trying to build a 64 bit vm to try on my dual opteron server.
I am currently running Ubuntu Linux  (Debian derivitive).

I cannot generate sources on this machine. (story below)
I will ask my questions up front for the busy folks who don't have time
for the story.

Can the sources for the 64bit vm (non-platform) be made available for
download? ie: the generated sources.

This would enable those who have no currently running vm on their 64bit
platform to go straight to configure make ...

Next, can I on my 32bit (Athlon) Ubuntu Linux machine, filein the
All64BitChanges.1.cs and then generate sources and use those sources on
my server and do the configure, make, make install?

Any wisdom and help greatly appreciated.

Process...

I can currently run the Squeak64-3.7x-5.i686-pc-linux vm with the 64bit
image.

However it isn't operating very well.

If I open a filelist and navigate to the All64BitChanges.1.cs in order
to file it in, the right window does not appear to select anything. No
UI changes at all. I can not change directories in the left window.

Nevertheless, if I click on the All64BitChanges.1.cs file in the right
window and presume, then click the filein button. It begins to file in
the file.

But somewhere in the process the file in hangs.
Or at a minimum the UI for it stops.

The squeak ui is still responsive and I can do other things.

After filing in the two files, waiting a while and no visual
confirmation of success, I attempt to generate sources.

After waiting a while. No sources. Squeak is idle.

Repeated process and results several times.

Thanks.

Jimmie Houchin