converting .asf with strange audo codecs...

Michael Roberts mike at mjr104.co.uk
Mon Nov 8 23:18:34 UTC 2004

Marcus Denker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some videos from lectures (e.g. Dan, Alan, Elliot Miranda) that
> are encoded with strange audio codecs.

<snip>

> Is there a way to convert these videos to some format working on the Mac?

Following on from what Ned said, you might also want to look at mplayer

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html

which you can compile with a bunch of windows native codecs on x86
Linux.  The configure script has a number of options to determine the
support for streaming style protocols.  I'm pretty sure that I have
watched the various lectures that you are probably referring to on Linux
but I might have had to fiddle with the url where the .asf file is
concerned.

I have never tried them

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/projects.html

but there are a number of related projects that talk about transcoding
and other platform support.

As for working on the Mac, I think you can build mplayer for the Mac but
I don't know whether there are wrappers for the x86 dlls or another
scheme to decode windows files.

Cheers

Mike