Confused about current versions... (was Re: 3.8 beta release)

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Mon Nov 8 23:43:03 UTC 2004

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 20:07:17 +0100, "Bert Freudenberg" <bert at impara.de>
said:
> Am 05.11.2004 um 19:27 schrieb Doug Way:
> >
> > Although I think you may have left out one important thing... I believe
> > that the 3.9alpha-stable and 3.9alpha-unstable streams should be
> > synched
> > back together now?  So, those two lines should merge back into one in
> > your diagram (and then maybe split apart again).
>
> Well, not one, because it's still two different update streams. But I
> forgot an arrow to point out that all changes up to 3.8b are in
> 3.9a-unstable. See below.

Yeah, I guess so.  I think 3.9alpha stable & unstable are synched at
6351.  In other words, a 3.9alpha-stable-6351 image should have the same
source code as a 3.9alpha-unstable-6351 image, despite coming from
different paths.  (Of course, the live bits/objects will probably be
different between the two. :) )  So, you could argue that the paths are
sort-of merged back together at 6351.  Especially since I think you can
switch back and forth between updating from the unstable updates and the
stable updates. (although that could get you in trouble pretty easily :)
)  But your interpretation is reasonable.

It might be nice to somehow note in the diagram that stable-6351 and
unstable-6351 are equal, not sure how best to do that, though.

> > I'm not sure at which update number they're merged back
> > together, offhand.  Marcus, can you confirm?)
>
> Both normal and unstable update streams for 3.9a are in your hands
> again. You decide how to use them. At the moment they should be
> identical. I think it would be a good idea to push new updates
> (starting at #6405) into 39a-unstable and quickly copy them over to the
> main 39a stream, to avoid the huge discrepancies we had in 3.8.

Definitely agreed.  In fact, I think normally the unstable stream is
supposed to be a strict superset of the stable stream. (i.e. the
unstable stream is the same as the stable stream except it will often
just have some additional updates at the end)

Anyway, I'll try to do my part to help keep the two streams from
diverging too much.  Although to be honest I've only been able to help
sporadically lately, and Marcus has been doing the brunt of the work.

- Doug