Updating Squeak

Frank Shearar Frank.Shearar at rnid.org.uk
Tue Nov 9 09:58:08 UTC 2004

Well, I decided to update Squeak. I hadn't updated since before the big m17n update. Anyway, I started up Squeak, hit the updates off the Squeak Public Updates. Things seemed to go well. Then Squeak started hogging memory to the tune of 450-500M. OK, I thought, no problem. I'll just leave it running over the weekend and it can chug away. This was about 16h00 on Friday. On Saturday, ~06h00, Windows had enough and popped up a message complaining of the lack of virtual memory. Presumably it killed the Squeak process because Squeak wasn't running when I came into work this morning.

When I re-opened Squeak though I find all sorts of things wrong with my image. For starters I've a window titled "Syntax Error". It has two text areas, the upper one containing "WorldState as yet unclassified  d" and the lower containing a snippet of code:

d |
	bufferPos Vertical bar expected ->:= startIndex.
	[self dataAvailable
		and: [bufferPos-1 < buffer size]]
		whileTrue: [
			bytesRead := self receiveSomeDataInto: buffer startingAt: bufferPos.
			bufferPos := bufferPos + bytesRead]

There's also an MNU whose stack trace contains some text like "--source missing--". SqueakDebugLog says this:

Error: MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>isSeparator
9 November 2004 9:39:57 am

VM: Win32 - a SmalltalkImage
Image: Squeak3.8alpha [latest update: #5990]

SecurityManager state:
Restricted: false
FileAccess: true
SocketAccess: true
Working Dir C:\Program Files\Squeak-3.2.2
Trusted Dir C:\Program Files\Squeak-3.2.2\FrankS
Untrusted Dir C:\My Squeak\FrankS

UndefinedObject(Object)>>error:
	Receiver: nil
	Arguments and temporary variables:
		aString: 	'MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>isSeparator'
	Receiver's instance variables:
nil
[] in WorldState>>displayWorldSafely: '--source missing--'
	Arguments and temporary variables:

So what gives? How can I recover my image from this? Can I just clear these windows down, close all the active apps (a WhiskerBrowser, a BFAV, a TestBrowser), save the image and restart it?

frank

whom they are addressed. Any views or opinions expressed
are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
RNID policy.
If you are not the intended recipient you are advised that any
use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this
email is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please notify the RNID
Helpdesk by telephone on: +44 (0) 207 296 8282.
The Royal National Institute for Deaf People
Registered Office 19*23 Featherstone Street
London EC1Y 8SL No. 454169 (England)
Registered Charity No. 207720