Project loading in 3.7

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Tue Nov 9 11:54:10 UTC 2004

Hi all!

(answering myself to the best of my current knowledge after digging)

goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> While on the subject so to speak - I am currently migrating an app from
> 3.6 to 3.7 that uses ImageSegments for domain model storage. It then
> appeared to me that ImageSegments saved from 3.6 and loaded into 3.7 get
> broken Date instances. This is of course not surprising, given the
> change in representation of Dates.
>
> Now... the questions:
>
> 1. Should we care to make this work? Is it meant to work? I assume
> Squeaklanders might want it to work, though they don't use Dates much
> perhaps in their projects.

Not sure a this point if ImageSegment loading should be preserved
between Squeak versions. Not sure how it can be done.

> 2. How can I fix it? Is there some place to hook in conversion code? I
> can of course sniff around but perhaps someone can give me a quick hint.

I took a look at SmartRefStream instead and by using that to move my
objects I can follow the instructions in the class comment ( :) ) on how
to add conversion methods. So I am doing this now for Date and
TimeStamp.

This should of course be done for all the Chronology classes if we
really care :) - I will start by getting those two working in order to
learn this and be able to migrate my stuff.

regards, Göran