[BUG]bug when trying to send a bug report with celeste in Squeak 3.7

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Tue Nov 9 16:15:49 UTC 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:39:49 +0100, "Marcus Denker" <denker at iam.unibe.ch>
said:

> Am 09.11.2004 um 10:21 schrieb Joseph Frippiat:
>
> > OK, corrected : with the package loader I updraded Celeste to 1.24 and
> > now
> > it works better.  The other bug with the new database creation error
> > is also
> > corrected with this upgrade.
> >
> > Sorry, I didn't know.  But this means that it will be quite difficult
> > write an industrial application with Squeak: Squeak 3.7 is not so
> > stable...

The situation is not quite as bad as it sounds... these are not bugs in
Squeak 3.7, they are bugs in Celeste.  Celeste is part of the Full
Squeak configuration, but it's not part of the slimmed-down Basic
configuration, which is likely what you would build your industrial
application on.  (Unless your app requires Celeste for some reason.)

> > What is the best version to use ?

It sounds like the more recent version of Celeste is best, since the
bugs are fixed there. :)

It's somewhat unavoidable that some of the Full apps (such as Celeste,
IRC, etc) which are on SqueakMap are still going to have bugs when a
Squeak release comes out.  But they can be fixed in later versions of
the apps.

Actually, this Celeste issue sounds like it should be covered under the
Errata page for Squeak releases:

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3880/

Okay, I just added a blurb to the Errata page about it.

> 3.7 is the latest stable release. I has, of course, bugs. If it
> wouldn't have bugs,
> we wouldn't be working on 3.8, would we?
>
> The major problem we have is that we do not fix bugs in the current
> stable release.
> It would be nice to have a model like linux: a "stable" branch, were
> bugs are fixed, and
> a "development" branch, were enhancements (and fixes) are added.

True, this is a problem, although important fixes have been added to
final releases after the fact, in the past.  (But then arguably you
should at least add a minor version number bump or something to indicate
to the average user that fixes have been added... e.g. 3.7.1.)

So if we have some critical (or at least very important) fixes
available, they could be added to 3.7.  In this case it sounds like the
bugs are not in 3.7-basic.

- Doug