converting .asf with strange audo codecs...

Danny Woods dannywoodz at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 9 18:58:10 UTC 2004

> Following on from what Ned said, you might also want to look at mplayer
>
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html
>
> which you can compile with a bunch of windows native codecs on x86
> Linux.  The configure script has a number of options to determine the
> support for streaming style protocols.  I'm pretty sure that I have
> watched the various lectures that you are probably referring to on
> Linux but I might have had to fiddle with the url where the .asf file
> is concerned.

mplayer comes with mencoder, an invaluable tool for format conversions.
It takes any of the input file formats that mplayer understands (which
is quite a lot) and writes out to more common formats. Sorry, but I
don't have any awkward source material to run a test over, but I've used
it in the past without difficulty. A quick Google turns up some examples.

> As for working on the Mac, I think you can build mplayer for the Mac
> but I don't know whether there are wrappers for the x86 dlls or
> another scheme to decode windows files.

The MPlayer port to OS X is a live-and-kicking SourceForge project at
http://mplayerosx.sourceforge.net. It not a bad piece of work and
understands an impressive number of codecs. The project also provides a
native mencoder for the Mac.

Regards,

Danny.