Build problems on Linux

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at cableone.net
Sun Nov 14 15:02:03 UTC 2004

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Am 14.11.2004 um 00:44 schrieb Jimmie Houchin:
>
>> Hello I am attempting to build a VM on Linux (Ubuntu), Athlon.
>> e output of configure and an edited make.
>
> You shouldn't have to edit the makefile.

My apologies. I was unclear above.
I edited the lines in the output of the attempted make, not the make
file. The "..." in the output represented a few hundered almost
identical lines.

>> If I am missing any tools or headers which I should have let me know.
>
>> checking for gawk... no
>> checking for mawk... mawk
>> checking whether we can gnuify interp.c... no
>
> This is bad. Without gnuifying you will get a sub-par performance.
> Install gawk. However, the compile should work.

Will do.

>> /home/jimmie/Desktop/b-3.7b-5/Squeak-3.7b-5/src/vm/interp.c:734:
>> error: syntax error before "const"

> Can you attach the source code lines surrounding that error?

731:    { NULL, NULL, NULL }
732:    };
733:    unsigned char* memory;
734:    fptr const primitiveTable[] = {
735:    primitiveFail,
736:    primitiveAdd,

I have also emailed the entire interp.c to Ian.
He emailed and asked.

> This should not happen. Did you try without -O3?

No, not yet. But will.

> Did you generate the interpreter sources on your own? This is the stuff
> inside the src/ dir, as opposed to the platforms/ tree.

Yes, generated by VMMaker in the 3.7-5989-full.image and are in the src/
dir. I added all plugins as internal, then removed all which had to do
with sound.

I knew my build environment was probably incomplete. But I do not know
what is necessary, what is beneficial and what is redundant.

Thanks for the help.

Jimmie Houchin.