Conflicts in BFAV posts

Thomas Koenig tomkoenig at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 15 01:01:07 UTC 2004

Marcus, I see you've done a lot of reviews that resulted in conflicts.
One of the more tedious parts of reviewing fixes is looking to see if
they would regress some other change. Is there something special you are
doing to check for conflicts in the BFAV posts?

You asked:
> Should we not add the conflict tag as a type tag for BFAV so posts
> with conflicts can be sorted under a conflicts tab. Fixes and
> enhancements with conflicts are a special condition and should be
> easily identified, and this would make BFAV easier to overview. Right
> now there is no way to seach for a post with conflicts.

I could make this change to BFAV if we really want it. However, it
strikes me that "conflict" is orthoganal to the harvest status dimension
that the tabs represent.  We've already added 'bugs' as another
non-orthogonal aspect to the tabs.  Do we really want to continue that
way?  The answer may very well be yes because bugs and posts with
conflicts merit special attention. If so, would the order be bug,
conficts, reviewed,approved, update, closed, all?  With a post being
made a conflict unless it's in the approved, update, closed status?

The other way we have of filtering are the three (not quite) regular
expressions: name, e-mail address and title.  We might sacrifice one of
these (name and email are redundant for my purposes) and add logic to
search on the labels.  This might allow us to search for conflicts (or
any other tag we decide to add latter