Cost of Squeak

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Mon Nov 15 20:37:25 UTC 2004

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:56:15 +0100, "Bert Freudenberg" <bert at impara.de>
said:

> Am 15.11.2004 um 13:25 schrieb lex at cc.gatech.edu:
> > I wonder where they came up with 167k lines of code?  Squeak has had
> > well over 200k for a long time, probably 300k today.  And that's just
> > the main image; it doesn't count more than a handful of external
> > packages.
>
> That's refering to the VM sources checked into CVS.
>
> It's interesting, though, I'd estimate the image to be at least two
> orders of magnitude more complex than the VM, yet in LOC they're
> similar ... speaks for the power of Smalltalk in comparison to C, I
> guess.

Yep, it basically just indicates that Smalltalk is a higher-level
language than C, which is not a particularly big surprise.  ("Higher
level" meaning it takes less code to do an equivalent amount of work,
although the lower-level code may be required for performance reasons.)

Also, I'm guessing C which is auto-generated (from Slang) will be more
verbose than hand-crafted C...

- Doug