[3.8beta-6375][Bug][m17n] Displaying Greek alpha, beta, gamma.

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Tue Nov 16 13:54:10 UTC 2004

Hannes Hirzel"Hannes Hirzel" <hirzel at spw.unizh.ch> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I want to find out which fonts contained in the 3.8beta image can display
> Greek letters .
>
> So far I didn't succeed.

< example omitted >

> However when I choose a string with Unicode characters in it (let's say
> Greek alpha, beta, gamma) then I get a Walkback (actually even an
> emergency evaluator).
>   The expected behavior would be that it
> works as above and that the fonts which do not have the Greek letters just
> show boxes instead.
>
> Any help how this can be fixed is appreciated and many thanks in advance.
>
> Hannes

With the attached change set I apply for the contest
"worst code change of the year"  :-)

Well, the change set avoids the emergency evaluator, but thats all.
The problem is a complicated one, and I cannot fix that quickly.
MultiCharacterScanner apparently uses the default stop conditions
which are not appropriate  to display characters whose codepoint
values are not in the range 16r00 to 16rFF. Together with large fonts,
we have to introduce large stop conditions.

My hack is an exception handler that answers nil for all codepoints
that are not valid indices into the array  stopConditions.
This hack works because all ordinary characters (that are those
that do not require special handling the be displayed) have the
stop condition nil.

Greetings, Boris