OldSocket backward compatibility considered harmful

Michael Rueger michael at squeakland.org
Tue Nov 16 16:46:18 UTC 2004

stéphane ducasse wrote:
> which code?

that would be update 6366  :-)

It introduced the old ...Until: methods including calls to the UI with
error: and inform:

The only code that still uses those is in HTTPSocket and that is a
subclass of OldSocket which implements these methods.

Until HTTPSocket is rewritten we need OldSocket with the old methods,
but we should not have added those to Socket, completely negating the
effort of the network rewrite.

I know this has happened 200 updates ago, but I didn't notice until I
started porting forward some Socket and SocketStream enhancements.

So maybe I should just include removals for these methods into the ENH
change set.

Michael