OldSocket backward compatibility considered harmful

Michael Rueger michael at squeakland.org
Tue Nov 16 17:37:18 UTC 2004

Lex Spoon wrote:
> IMO, use the deprecation mechanism to get rid of the old methods.  ANd
> in the meantime, we need to figure out who is using them.  Have you
> checked for senders?   While a few network programs are loaded, say IRC,
> Celeste, Scamper, and Komanche?

All these have been ported to the network rewrite, so I'm not sure why
these methods even made it into the image at that point.

Backward compatibility is provided through OldSocket.

Unless somebody provides a really compelling argument why he needs these
methods they should be removed not just deprecated.

Michael