Cost of Squeak

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Nov 17 02:28:31 UTC 2004

Ok, if you use "-finline-limit=20000 -finline-functions " you get quite
a bit inlined, with a bit of hacking to insert the gnuified jumpto
logic we
arrive at a VM that runs at 45% of the normal VM.  I'm sure more can be
done outside of my hour or two of fiddling. Mind making it
run 2x faster to  match the existing VM could be a challenge.

On Nov 16, 2004, at 11:29 AM, tim Rowledge wrote:

> Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>>> Also, I'm guessing C which is auto-generated (from Slang) will be
>>> more
>>> verbose than hand-crafted C...
>> Definitely. And don't forget the inliner - it manually inlines
>> functions therefore dramatically increasing the LOC count.
> We really must get around to trying the experiment of using the inline
> function spec for the C compiler to see if it works better. GCC & RISC
> OS CC do it so that covers about all the bases.
>
> tim

===