OldSocket backward compatibility considered harmful

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Nov 17 09:45:45 UTC 2004

Hi Marcus and all!

Marcus Denker <denker at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> Am 16.11.2004 um 20:07 schrieb goran.krampe at bluefish.se:
> > Hi Michael and all!
> >
> > Michael Rueger <michael at squeakland.org> wrote:

> >> Apologies in so far as this update actually just came into the
> >> stream, I
> >> got confused with what the current update number was ;-)
> >>
> >> But to reiterate, applications using the old methods (like HTTPSocket)
> >> should be ported forward and not Socket be made backward compatible a
> >> year after the rewrite.
> >
> > I actually have no idea how these came in, it seems like a harvester
> > should have reacted. Anyway, I say BE GONE WITH THEM! :)
>

> Yes, I am the one to blame. That's the problem with this harvesting:
> You can easily
> make a complete fool of yourself...

I know - but given the circumnstances that we all are aware of, it's no
big deal IMHO.

> Just send a chageset to remove them again. (or add it direktly to the
> update stream)
>
> But generally: We have tried (for months) to find knowledgabe people
> who would be
> responsible for certain parts of the image (e.g. networking, eToys,
> Morphic) who look at the
> changes that are submitted.
>
> Nobody has stepped forward to do that...
>
>         Marcus

Well, a few did stepped forward, but I totally stalled on TFNR etc.

We really should try getting that boat in the water though and I think
we simply need to figure out how we "put PI instances into the image
using the update stream". If we just solve that (should be easy, someone
just have to do it) then we can start pumping out some PIs and we can
easily integrate that with SM and BFAV.

If noone else does this I will. Now, how did this darn PI thingy work
now again... ;)

regards, Göran