Tweak (was Morphic)

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Thu Nov 18 23:27:52 UTC 2004

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:45:02 -0400, <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:

> "SmallSqueak" <smallsqueak at rogers.com> wrote:
>> > I see it. Thanks. Very cool. Looks a ways off, tho'. (When done, it'll
>> > bring Squeak into the--uh--'90s<s>.)
>>
>>     I think this is a little bit exaggerated isn't it, is it really that
>> cool ?
>
> I don't know of anything in any decade that is like Tweak.  Maybe its
> looks are 90's (I wouldn't know), but the way it is organized and the
> way it is programmed are different from anything I have heard of.

I was referring primarily to the UI
painter/inspector/ultimate-2-way-code-editor design. (I assume the goal is
a two-way code editor.) This is what made Visual Basic such a huge success
ca. 1992(?), and which can be seen in most of the modern programming
environments from Alpha 5 to, uh, hell the first one I used, I think was
Visual Age Smalltalk (back in '93?).

While this paradgim sort of exists in morphic, the environment is fairly
unhelpful. Very free, but not very helpful. (I think it was Stravinsky who
said that complete freedom was the bane of art.) Alan said there were
thousands of kids who had learned using eToys; I wonder how many went on
to apply the skills they learned there to non-eToy environments? (I
started with Basic, which well and truly sucked, but which gave me a huge
appreciation for the capabilities I saw in PL/I, Pascal and Smalltalk when
I saw them.)

Anyway, Tweak looks like it's heading toward a lot of the capabilities
seen in these '90s era tools, but with solid design choices behind it.
(Visual Basic is very haphazard for example; and it's a struggle to do MVC
in Delphi.) So, tongue-was-in-cheek, at least partly, with my comment.